Acton Institute

Built in 1929, originally known as the “Watson Building”, the new Acton Institute features a restored exterior to reflect its original state by removing the marble facing and replacing it with limestone. The interior, with mended hardwood floors and exposed original wooden rafters and support beams, was highly modernized with contemporary design that expresses the idea, function, and nature of the Acton Institute.

Location: 98 East Fulton, Grand Rapids, MI
Square Feet: 38,000 sq ft
Date Completed: March 2013
Architecture: Brian Barkwell, Nathan Funk
Interiors: Valerie Schmieder, Emily VanderLaan

 

Adaptive Reuse Corporate